The first day of competition in NIKE’s The Opening kicked off on Tuesday, and all 10 Alabama commits were able to show their stuff.
If you didn’t hear about or see Calvin Ridley’s amazing catch, go here. Ridley also told 247Sports he’d officially visit Florida State and wants to take all five of his official visits.
Ridley has been widely listed as one of the Day 1 standouts and as the top receiver. There are 162 recruits at this event. More television of The Opening will be on Wednesday night at 7 p.m. CT on ESPNU with 7-on-7 action.
Minkah Fitzpatrick qualified for the finals of the SPARQ championship. He ended up finishing seventh. Destrehan, La., receiver Kirk Merritt, an Alabama target, won the event. Fitzpatrick’s point total was 132.69. He competed in events such as the 40-yard dash (4.59), vertical jump (38 inches), kneeling power ball toss (40 feet, 1 inch) and shuttle run (3.87).
Watch Fitzpatrick perform in the power ball toss, the shuttle, and the 40-yard dash.
Let’s check in on some other commits:
* Fitzpatrick didn’t participate in training camp after qualifying for the SPARQ finals, and Shawn Burgess-Becker struggled, according to 247Sports, as he’s apparently not over a knee injury.
* OL Richie Petitbon told Paul Myerberg of USA Today that he reminded him of a young Barrett Jones. Petitbon was pumped up for this event, shown here.
* Quarterback Blake Barnett moved up from No. 4 to No. 3 in the Elite 11 quarterback rankings heading into Tuesday. Expect new rankings to be released every morning.
* Dallas Warmack is one of three OL commits, including Petitbon and Lester Cotton. Watch him in action here
* Watch DL commit Jonathan Ledbetter in action
* You can take a look at the full SPARQ testing results here, but here are some numbers from Alabama commits.
WR Shawn Burgess-Becker (listed at 6-0, 200) did not participate
WR Calvin Ridley (6-0, 169) ran a 4.54 40-yard time.
DB Deionte Thompson (6-1, 175) jumped 35.8 inches in the vertical
DB Montrell Custis (5-11, 170) ran a 4.59 and jumped 35.1 in the vertical
Remember that these are just skill tests and more evaluations will come out during 7-on-7 competitions and lineman drills.