April 16, 2016
Recap | Final Stats | Quotes
Team captains for the Golden Flake A-Day Game were for the Crimson Team tight end O.J. Howard and offensive left tackle Cam Robinson; for the White Team linebacker Ryan Anderson and defensive back Eddie Jackson.
Official A-Day Game Attendance
The official estimated attendance at today’s game was 76,212 at Bryant-Denny Stadium (capacity: 101,821), the eighth-largest attendance mark for an A-Day football game.
Largest A-Day Attendance Totals
The top attendance totals for Alabama’s A-Day Game.
Spring Football Award Winners
The following Alabama football players were honored for the performance throughout Spring Football Practice with the following awards bestowed by the Crimson Tide coaching staff:
- Lee Roy Jordan Headhunter Award – Alphonse Taylor, Tim Williams
- Jerry Duncan “I Like to Practice” Award – Hale Hentges, Rashaan Evans, Shaun Dion Hamilton
- Billy Neighbors Defensive Lineman Award – Dalvin Tomlinson, Daron Payne
- Paul Crane Offensive Lineman Award – Ross Pierschbacher
- Bobby Johns Defensive Back Award – Marlon Humphrey, Minkah Fitzpatrick
- Johnny Musso Offensive Back Award – Bo Scarborough, Damien Harris
- Ray Perkins Receiver Award – Calvin Ridley, ArDarius Stewart
- Woodrow Lowe Linebacker Award – Reuben Foster
- Derrick Thomas Community Service Award – JK Scott, Josh McMillion, Lester Cotton
- Bear Bryant Outstanding Non-Scholarship Award –Bo Grant, Derrick Gore, Jamey Mosley, Levi Wallace, Truett Harris
- Ozzie Newsome Most Improved Freshman Award – Anfrenee Jennings, Brandon Kennedy, Jalen Hurts, Jonah Williams, Keaton Anderson, Miller Forristall
- Bart Starr Most Improved Player Award – Anthony Averett, Brandon Greene, Cam Sims, Cooper Bateman, Da’Shawn Hand, Korren Kirven, Maurice Smith, Robert Foster, Ronnie Harrison
- Mal Moore Leadership Award – Cam Robinson, Eddie Jackson, Jonathan Allen
- Sylvester Croom Commitment to Excellence Award – OJ Howard, Ryan Anderson
- Dwight Stephenson Lineman of the A-Day Game Award – Tim Williams
- Dixie Howell Memorial Most Valuable Player of the A-Day Game Award – Damien Harris
The Golden Flake A-Day Game Brings End to Spring Practice
The University of Alabama football team and head coach Nick Saban wrapped up spring practice today with the 2016 Golden Flake A-Day Game at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Alabama opened spring practice on Friday, March 11, and held 14 practices through Thursday, April 14, leading up to today’s A-Day game. The Crimson Tide also held two scrimmages here in Bryant-Denny Stadium this spring (April 2 and April 9) in preparation for today’s game.
Walk of Fame Ceremony Honored 2015 Team Captains
The four permanent team captains from the 2015 season – quarterback Jake Coker, running back Derrick Henry, center Ryan Kelly, and linebacker Reggie Ragland – were recognized at the annual Walk of Fame ceremony that took place Saturday at 11:15 a.m. at Denny Chimes. Per Alabama tradition, all four captains had their hand prints and foot prints placed in cement at the base of Denny Chimes in recognition of the leadership, commitment and excellence in representing the Crimson Tide.
A-Day Game Format
The format for the A-Day game was much like a normal game, with a few minor variations primarily regarding the game clock. The game consisted of four 15-minute quarters with a running clock. The clock stopped only following scoring plays, penalties, and changes of possession. Regular clock rules were used during the final minutes of the second quarter and the fourth quarter. Halftime was 12 minutes in duration. Players wearing black jerseys (quarterbacks and injured players) were considered “tag-off” and were not treated as live players. The kickoffs and kick returns were “tag-off” plays as well, with the ball spotted at the 30-yard line.