If Alabama fans didn’t like the way it felt at the conclusion of last season’s Sugar Bowl loss to Oklahoma, they better get used to it based on The Sporting News’ recently released bowl projections.
On Tuesday, The Sporting News projected 39 bowl games, including the much-anticipated college football playoff.
Good news for Alabama is it advances to the semifinals.
Bad news, according to the projections, is the Tide falls to Bob Stoops and the Oklahoma Sooners again. This time it is in the Rose Bowl.
Last year, Trevor Knight, who had attempted just 90 passes in seven games during the season, threw for 348 yards and four touchdowns to lead 16-point underdog Oklahoma to a 45-31 upset of Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.
The other semifinal matchup – to be played in the Sugar Bowl – has Oregon over defending BCS champions Florida State, leaving the Ducks and Sooners facing off in the finals of the college football playoff.
Eleven SEC teams appear in the bowl projections.
Auburn, meanwhile, a year after falling to Florida State in the BCS title game 34-31, is slotted for the Chick-fil-A Bowl against Central Florida.
Here are a couple of other notable matchups:
- College Football Championship Game: Oregon vs. Oklahoma
- Sugar Bowl (Playoff Semifinal): Oregon vs. Florida State
- Rose Bowl Game (Playoff Semifinal): Oklahoma vs. Alabama
- AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic: UCLA vs. Ohio State
- Fiesta Bowl: Stanford vs. Baylor
- Orange Bowl: Michigan State vs. Clemson
- Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl: Central Florida vs. Auburn
Speaking of SEC teams, Sporting News projects Tennessee and East Carolina to meet in the Birmingham Bowl.
For the full projections, check out sportingnews.com.