The annual Iron Bowl grudge match between Alabama and Auburn may be the top rivalry in college athletics, but it won’t be the priciest ticket this fall, according to an NBC Sports review of average ticket prices on TiqIQ.
In fact, it’s not even the priciest ticket to a game involving either Alabama or Auburn.
The most expensive college football ticket in the country, according to the report, is for a Sept. 13 game between Texas and UCLA at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, which is going for an average of $744.
Second is the Ohio State-Michigan game in Columbus ($727) and third is the Alabama-LSU game in Baton Rouge ($639).
The most expensive matchup involving Auburn on the list is the Georgia game in Athens, which is ninth ($468). Just behind it at No. 10 is the Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa, with an average ticket price of $454.
The entire top 10, with average price listed first and cheapest ticket second:
1. Texas-UCLA (Arlington, Texas): $770/$144
2. Ohio State-Michigan (Columbus, Ohio): $727/$372
3. LSU-Alabama (Baton Rouge, La.): $639/$317
4. Texas-Oklahoma (Dallas, Texas): $591/$251
5. Texas A&M-Arkansas (Arlington, Texas): $586/$159
6. Notre Dame-Michigan (South Bend, Ind.): $536/$286
7. Oklahoma State-Florida State (Arlington, Texas): $492/131
8. Georgia-Clemson (Athens, Ga.): $472/$248
9. Georgia-Auburn (Athens, Ga.): $468/$203
10. Alabama-Auburn (Tuscaloosa, Ala.): $454/$298
Three other Alabama games landed in the top 20: the West Virginia game in Atlanta ($371 average), the Tennessee game in Knoxville ($362) and the Florida game in Tuscaloosa ($343).
Prices, of course, will likely rise or fall depending on the success of the respective teams and whether they remain in the hunt for the College Football Playoff.
Bottom line: If you’re looking for tickets for any of these games, hopefully you’ve already started saving up.