Oct. 30, 2015
Alabama (10-13, 4-5 SEC) at Arkansas (13-7, 3-5 SEC)
- Sunday, Nov. 1 – 2 p.m. CT
- Fayetteville, Ark. – Barnhill Arena
- *SEC Network*
Alabama (10-13, 4-5 SEC) – The Crimson Tide fell in its first match this week, as Missouri came back from a 2-1 deficit to defeat Alabama in five sets in Columbia. Redshirt junior Krystal Rivers and sophomore Kat Hutson both rank in the top 10 in the SEC in kills, totaling 261 (3.48/set) and 254 (3.48/set) to place fourth and fifth, respectively. Senior Sierra Wilson paces the offense, leading the SEC with 1,085 assists (11.60/set) as she is now just 221 shy of the Alabama career record. On defense, Rivers also cracked the SEC’s top 10 in blocks with 71 (0.95/set), including 15 solo and 56 assisted. Overall, Rivers is ranked third in the SEC in points with 317 (4.23/set) while Hutson is seventh with 288.0 (3.95/set). Natalie Murison continues to cover plenty of ground in the back row, leading the team and ranking ninth in the SEC with 344 digs (3.70/set).
LAST TIME OUT: ALABAMA FALLS TO MISSOURI IN FIVE
Alabama volleyball was on the wrong end of a five-set comeback Wednesday night on the road, as the Tide gave up a 2-1 match lead to Missouri, who battled to wins in the fourth and fifth sets to defeat Alabama, 3-2.
Alabama hit a scorching .439 as a team in the opening set, scoring 35 points in the lengthy set victory. The 35 points was the most scored by the Tide since doing so last season on Sept. 28 at home against LSU. Alabama’s offense was stifled in the second, falling 25-20, before rebounding with another lengthy set win in the third, 27-26. Missouri would win set four, 25-19, to force a deciding fifth which it won, 15-10, to complete the comeback over Alabama. The loss was Alabama’s first when featured on the SEC Network, snapping a nine-match winning streak on the network.
STANDOUTS AT MISSOURI
- Krystal Rivers led the offense with a career-best 30 kills and a team-high .355 hitting percentage. She added 10 digs on defense, marking her third double-double of the season.
- Sierra Wilson paced the offense with 65 assists and finished one dig shy of a double-double with nine. Her 65 assists mark the fifth time this season she has posted more than 60 assists in a match.
- Five different Alabama players scored a service ace in the match, with Rivers knocking in two of the team’s six.
- Natalie Murison, Kryssi Daniels and Rivers each had at least 10 digs, led by Murison with 17.
- Alabama’s play from the service line has been a strong source of points over the previous two matches with Alabama earning eight aces against Georgia and six against Missouri, an average of 1.75 aces per set.
- In the Tide’s first seven SEC matches, the team totaled just 27 aces over 28 sets, an average of .96 per set. The 14 over the last two matches now accounts for 34 percent of the team’s total in conference play.
- Six different Tide players have earned at least one ace over the last two matches. Leah Lawrence and Krystal Rivers have five each, accounting for over 70 percent of the total. Kat Hutson, Sierra Wilson, Natalie Murison and Kryssi Daniels each have one over the last two matches.
1,000 ASSISTS AND COUNTING
- With 1,085 assists this season, Sierra Wilson has now surpassed 1,000 assists in each of her four seasons at Alabama. She is just the second player at Alabama to do so, joining Brigitte Slack (2004-07).
- Two of Wilson’s four seasons are ranked in the top five in Alabama single-season history, with her 1,529 from 2014 standing as the school record.
Sierra Wilson – Single Season Assists Rank
- 1st – 1,529 (2014)
- 4th – 1,450 (2013)
- 11th – 1,293 (2012)
- 18th – 1,085 (2015)
THE TIDE ON THE AIR
- Sunday’s match at Arkansas will be featured on the SEC Network, marking the fifth time this season for Alabama. The Tide will be featured three more times this year.
- Since the debut of the SEC Network last season, Alabama has been featured in 10 matches so far and has won nine of them.
Alabama on the SEC Network
- Sept. 24, 2014 at Georgia: W, 3-1
- Oct. 12, 2014 vs. South Carolina: W, 3-1
- Oct. 26, 2014 vs. Arkansas: W, 3-1
- Nov. 9, 2014 at South Carolina: W, 3-2
- Nov. 16, 2014 vs. Georgia: W, 3-0
- Sept. 23, 2015 vs. Mississippi State: W, 3-1
- Oct. 11, 2015 vs. Missouri: W, 3-2
- Oct. 18, 2015 at LSU: W, 3-2
- Oct. 25, 2015 vs. Georgia: W, 3-0
- Oct. 28, 2015 at Missouri: L, 3-2
WILSON CLOSING IN ON CAREER ASSISTS RECORD
With 1,085 assists so far this season, senior setter Sierra Wilson now has 5,357 career assists, which is just 221 shy of Brigitte Slack’s (2004-07) career record of 5,578. Wilson entered the season in third place with 4,272, trailing Jennifer Miller (1989-92) in second place by just 61. The Anaheim, Calif., native finished the opening match of the 2015 season against Long Beach State with 38 assists and then surpassed Miller’s mark the next day against Cal State Fullerton with 69 assists in the lengthy five-set victory. Against Tennessee on Oct. 2, Wilson broke the 5,000-assists mark, becoming just the second player in program history to do so.
NEXT TIME OUT: VS. TENNESSEE / SOUTH CAROLINA *SEC NETWORK*
Alabama returns home next weekend for a pair of SEC matches, starting against Tennessee (19-6, 5-5 SEC) on Friday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. CT and concluding against South Carolina (9-13, 2-7 SEC) on Sunday, Nov. 8 at 2 p.m. live on the SEC Network.